Sunday, January 1

My FIRST BLOG POST!!

::rubs hands together, clears throat, checks mic::
HELLOOOO OUT THERE!!

So I decided to start my own blog because I am so inspired by all of the blogs I read every day. I want to express my sentiments (and research) on health, nutrition, fitness and overall wellness as seen in my daily life and the lives of those I read about. As an African American woman, there are certain "dos and don'ts" when it comes to food and our bodies. I hope to explore these stigmas through this blog. But first, I'm sure you have some questions for me...

What is with the title of this blog?
The Body Bank Account is based on the view that what you put in, is what you ultimately get out. If you eat horribly and never move, your body will reward you with a whole host of conditions (Diabetes, high blood pressure, weight problems, acne etc.). But if you mindfully eat- as in choose whole foods with little processing- and move the national recommended amount of 30 minutes most days of the week of moderate intensity exercise, your body will bless you will good digestion, functioning organs, strong hair and nails, clear skin and your set weight base on the Set-Point Theory.

Easy right? Ummm not so much. Explain why over 2/3 of Americans are overweight and obese and heart disease is our #1 killer... can't? Don't worry I will...

So who the heck are you anyway?
::Jay Z voice:: Allow me to re-introduce myself... my  name is... well I will be your "account manager". I am just a country girl (who was stuck in a secluded area void of diversity) living in the city (Washington, DC). 

What do you know about health and fitness? Why should I listen to you?
I grew up an only child obsessed with sports. I was signed up from everything from tennis, to ice skating, to soccer... I excelled and learned to love basketball and volleyball and ended up trying to play volleyball in college. In 11th grade, I became a vegetarian because of a club teammate. I wanted to take meat out of my diet at first to get leaner and lose weight.  At the time I was battling a mild eating disorder so I felt not eating meat was a legit way to lose weight.  I researched how the meat got on my table and slowly developed my real reason for not eating meat (or so I thought).

Sports have always become my passion and nutrition was slowly becoming just as important.  After a track accident with months of rehab, I became inspired by the medical world. I later attended George Mason University in Northern VA and walked on their D1 volleyball team as a freshman. Because I was not progressing the way they wanted, I was let go right before my sophomore season.  That was physically and emotionally the most difficult year of my life. I remained active and continued to eat what I felt was a healthy balanced vegetarian diet.

In school, I studied health sciences with a focus in community health. I immediately went to grad school for a masters in science studying health promotion management. This degree is focused solely on the individual moving into a healthier and more knowledgeable citizen, not on a public level. I now work for a company that caters to physicians and do volunteer/ work part time with a non-profit (which I will talk about in this blog) organization which aligns with my education AND passion: wellness training in both the child and adult sectors. I am also a certified personal trainer through the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).

Read more after the jump...

I am going through another milestone in my life: going natural (back in 2010), turning 25, looking into marriage and a family, finished school, and becoming vegan. I am so inspired by the once taboo diet of veganism and learning to fully embrace a more compassionate, healthy, clean way of looking at food. I am excited- and you will be too!

What do you hope to get across through this blog?
My main goal is to present the facts about fitness and nutrition. I suggest my readers take everything with a grain of salt. I am by no means an expert, but I have adopted a vegetarian diet early in life and had to learn (quite quickly) how to feed myself. I am a minority who lives in a big city, so I am faced with all of the stereotypical values on health and nutrition everyday and have always wanted to talk about it or educate someone.  Lastly, I live this stuff. Truly. I have been fascinated with health and nutrition since I can remember. I want to be a centenarian one day and I am doing my best to get there.

I hope I can learn from my readers as well.  I encourage any and all comments on my posts.

Together, we can’t necessarily change the world, but we can shift it in the right direction!

LEGGOOOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment